First up, the seat cushion:
So I went about researching cushion tutorials and upholstery foam and quickly had a coronary and cried into my duvet cover because DO YOU KNOW WHAT UPHOLSTERY FOAM COSTS? A KIDNEY A YARD, THAT'S WHAT.
Also the cushion tutorial I found that was only similar to what I wanted/needed was translated from it's original Portuguese and my head, it throbs.
So I set out to do my own tutorial throughout this whole process. And then promptly stopped because about a third of the way into this ordeal I realized that my sewing skills are sadly lacking and very much made up and not at all something to be emulated and plus, I wasn't sure it was all going to work out in the end so really, here's the English-from-Portuguese tute if you want to attempt something with actual directions and a nice end product. I just made my stuff up.
Honestly, If I hadn't spent all that time deconstructing our old Ektorp cover when I tried to revamp the ottoman, I'd have quickly found myself up Shiitake Creek without a paddle, if you catch my meaning. So self-taught slipcover making ahoy!
First, to deal with my foam issue, since the original plans we were hacking intended this to be a day bed, we ended up buying the cheapest foam twin bed mattress IKEA sells because it was literally a third of the price of buying rolls of upholstery foam and it was only a wee bit larger than we needed it to be instead of having to piece together smaller sections of foam and hope no one fell in the cracks when they sat down.
If you were paying attention back in February you might have caught the hint of that on Instagram:
But just in case I did manage to snap a couple "real" photos of my kids camping out on the random twin size mattress we had no real place for while we were finishing the actual building of the window seat.
Anyway, after removing the outer shell you see there (oh so easily with that all-the-way-around-zipper!) using a large serrated knife from my cutlery set and super precise measurements (ha!) I cut away two squares for the bookcases and trimmed a couple of inches off of the back smallest part so there wouldn't be any overhang off of the front of the bench.
Then, like the super pro I am, I draped the crap out of the IKEA fabric I'd picked out and somehow figured out how to make 58" wide fabric cover a 72" long mattress with the stripes all matching up because I am slightly OCD about things like that. And then I had the bright idea to add the lime green piping for character and more clean-looking finished edges despite never actually sewing piping in a seam before, so that was fun.
If you can call maddening fun, I guess. The hardest parts were the back corners -- to get the edges straight so it fit the cushion well and kept the stripes lined up and had the piping not look a jumbled mess.
Anyway, in order to attach the piping and then, of course, make the cover removable because of the general menagerie that is my house, I had to devise a way to make the back, angle-y part open and close enough to get the mattress out if need be and not look a wreck.
Some 2" wide Velcro did the trick, while also testing my sanity and patience and sewing abilities.
I'm pretty proud of it.
Next, I promised you a peek into the drawers.
Here's the small, middle drawer, which is roughly 2' x 2':
And here's the long one by Tova's door, or farthest away from the stairs:
I think that's about 2' x 3' but I'd have to check. There are a couple of things I'd change about the plans for these drawers -- first, we actually used 1x10s as the sides instead of the called-for 1x8s because the seat definitely had the height and obviously I hate wasting prime storage space. Second, we used thicker plywood for the bottom than called for so that they'd feel super sturdy, bear weight, and could stand if a child climbed into one because it's only a matter of time, let's be real. The one thing I wish we had thought about and done differently but didn't is how the boxes were constructed -- I'd have squared off the corners of each box with the front and back nestling inside of the sides instead of the other way around, just so it had a cleaner, more finished look from the side. But nothing's perfect, so just a point of reference.
Lastly, I also put these on Instagram the other day, but I've been hoarding them for a while now while the blog caught up to the build, but I thought you might like to see the finished product in action:
I think it's safe to say this was a very good idea for not only our first project of the year, but for our family.